Monday, October 24, 2005

Delhi

The Fun Begins . . .(Above) Our very first moments in India just after arriving from a 12+ hour flight across I don't know how many time zones involved what up to that point was one of the most conjested bus rides I had ever been on in my life (only to be topped by all the OTHER bus rides we took while in India) and ending up walking around abyssmally disoriented for upwards of an hour and a half at something like two o'clock in the morning in a pitch black portion of New Delhi (Paharganj) that made some of the poorest parts of the United States look like absolute paradise. I was ready though. My mind was focused, my conviction was resolute. I felt good and was confident that the journey was going to be a positive and educational one.

Ahhh . . . A Place To Rest . . .We finally made it to a hotel at something like 3:30 AM where, as you can see from the picture taken above, the accomodations were - um . . . somewhat less than spectacular. The expression on my face is one that I found myself making more than once during the course of our travels in this country.
India was a land of intensely hot summers, and (to put it mildly) elevated population concentrations [try over one billion people in a country smaller than the United States]. Not infrequently were inhabitants found sleeping outside - many on the streets, and some, as pictured above, upon the roofs of their domiciles.
Above is a photo from one of our first auto riksha rides in India. We were on our way, I believe, to one of our first fort-stops: the Humayun Sikandra (pictured below).
Here Ted and I (above and below) stand inside the area where some of Humayun's closest relatives are kept.
Above, Ted stands just outside of the tomb of the fated emperor himself.

Sick And SweatyHere (above), the aches are beginning . . . (I'll explain later).

Purana Kila
Also known as "The Old Fort", it definitely lived up to the moniker.

(Above) The Old Fort truly did have a very ancient feel to it, and walking through some of the ruins made us feel as though we had stepped a few hundred years into the past.
Here I sit before the front entrance monument at the Gandhi Musuem. I found our stay there quite educational indeed. I was surprised that there weren't more visitors, however, and that the place did not seem to be more of a site of touristic interest. Although I much preferred the quiet and solitary peruse through the museum that ocurred, I still found it a bit odd that there weren't more (or really any) people there.
Here we were (above) at a rooftop restaurant overlooking one of the major market centers in Delhi.
(Above) This, I think, is one of the best images captured while we were in India. While I would like to take full credit for it, Ted is the one who actually took the photograph. I'm not sure whether it was taken on a morning during one of my my pre-sunrise runs, or on one of the lesser ocassions when I went on a run as the sun was setting. Either way, it is, I believe, a beautiful picture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home